Cabinet Division plays a key role in formulation of policies and coordination among the Ministries and Divisions. The prime responsibilities include secretarial assistance to the Cabinet and its Committee; oversee and follow up of progress and implementation of Cabinet and Committee decisions; administration of Oath of the President and resignation of the President; appointment, resignation and administration of Oath of the Prime Minister, Ministers, Minister of State and Deputy Minister.
The Cabinet Secretary, who is assisted by one Additional Secretary and four Joint Secretaries in the performance of assigned business, heads the Cabinet Division under the Prime Minister as the Minister-in-charge. Rules of Business, 1996 assigned the following business to the Cabinet Division:
1. Secretarial work for the cabinet and its Committees.
2. Custody of papers and documents of the Cabinet and Committees and their decisions.
3. Review of progress and implementation of Cabinet and Committee decisions.
4. Remuneration and privileges of the President, Prime Minister and other Ministers.
5. Immunity of the President.
6. Administration of Oath of the President and Resignation of the President.
7. Rules of Business and allocation of Business among the Ministries and Divisions.
9. Flag Rules, National Anthem Rules and National Emblem Rules.
9A. Observance of National Mourning Day on the 15th August.
10. Appointment and resignation of the Prime Minister, Ministers, Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers and administration of their Oath.
11. Common services relating to the Prime Minister, Ministers, Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers excluding T.A. and D.A.
11A. All matters relating to Anti-corruption Commission.
12. Declaration of War.
13. Secretaries committee and Sub-Committees.
14. General administration in Upazilas, Districts and Divisions.
15. Warrant of Precedence.
16. Monitoring of Criminal Justice.
17. Nomination for International Awards.
18. National Implementation Committee for Administrative Reforms/ Reorganisation (NICAR)
19. Administration including financial matters of this Division.
20. Administration and supervision of subordinate offices and organisations under this Division.
21. Liaison with International Organisations and matters relating to treaties and agreements with other countries and world bodies relating to subjects allotted to this Division.
22. All laws on subjects allotted to this Division.
23. Inquiries and statistics on any of the subjects allotted to this Division.
24. Fees in respect of any of the subjects allotted to this Division except Fees taken in courts.
25. National Awards and Award giving ceremonies.
26. Inter-Ministerial Coordination.
An Additional Secretary coordinates/oversee the functions of four wings each headed by a Joint Secretary. The wings are:
• Cabinet and Report Wing.
• Administration and Rules Wing.
• District and Field Administration Wing.
• Committee and Economic Wing.
Cabinet and Report Wing
• Conduct meetings of the Cabinet.
• Examine summaries for the Cabinet in accordance with Rules of Business 1996.
• Record and circulate minutes of the meetings of the Cabinet.
• Monitor implementation of Cabinet Decisions and inform Cabinet about the implementation of
such decisions in every three months.
• Preparation of monthly report of Cabinet Division and send it to the Prime Minister’s Office.
• Preparation and publication of Annual Report of the activities of Cabinet Division.
• Preparation of the Address of the President to be delivered in the Jatiya Sangsad.
• Preparation of monthly report of Cabinet Division and send it to the Prime Minister’s office.
• Preparation and Publication of Annual Report on the activities of the Cabinet Division.
• Collection and Compilation of Annual Report on the activities of different Ministries/Divisions and
place it before the Cabinet meeting.
• Collection and Compilation of Monthly Report on activities of different Ministries/Divisions and
communicate government comments/decisions on those reports to the concerned
Administration and Rules Wing
• Administration of Oath and appointment, portfolio & resignation of the President, Prime Minister,
Ministers, Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers.
• Administration of Oath Ceremony of the Chief Adviser, Advisers to Care Taker
Government and Chief Justice.
• Functions related to representation of Ministries by the respective or any other Ministers,
Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers during the Parliamentary Sessions in proceed.
• Preparation of Budget/revised budget incorporating salary; traveling expenditure including final
adjustment of foreign/ internal traveling; allowances and house rents of Ministers, Ministers of
State and Deputy Ministers.
• Formulation, amendment, interpretation, implementation and incorporation of different act and rules.
• General administration of the Cabinet Division & provide Administrative Support,
coordinate among the wings and general services to the Cabinet Division.
• Sanction of Red telephones and printing of Directory.
• Budgetary and Financial matters of the Cabinet Division and attached Department/Organizations.
• Matters relating to Audit Report and Public Accounts Committee.
• Cabinet Library.
District and Field Administration Wing
• General Administration in Upazilas, Districts and Divisions.
• Monitoring of Criminal Justice.
• Policy formulation and updating of records on Criminal Justice; vesting on or withdrawl of
• Policy formulation/modification in terms of preparing fit list of Deputy Commissioners (DCs) and
Upazila Nirbahy Officer (UNOs).
• Preparation of monthly report on Police-Magistracy meeting in this district.
• Monitoring and Evaluation of Inspection Reports on police station/jail/different offices in the
district submitted by Divisionals Commissioners and Deputy Commissions..
• Matters relating to Anti-Corruption Commission.
• Monitoring and Evaluation of matters discussed in Divisional and District Development Coordination Meetings.
• Matters relating to organizational structure of Divisional Commissioner and Deputy commissioner’s Office and selection of location to construct core office buildings in the Districts.
• Sanction of leaves of Divisional and Deputy Commissioners and granting permission to officers working in Division, District and Upazila (General Administration) to join training Programmes/Sessions/ Seminar/ Workshops.
Committee and Economic Wing
- Committee Management (Committee formation and Amendment);
- provide secretarial assistance to `Cabinet Committee on National Award’;
- Provide secretarial assistance to `Committee on Contribution to the International and Regional Organizations’;
- Provide secretarial assistance to `Cabinet Committee on Government Purchase(CCGP)’;
- Provide secretarial assistance to `Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs(CCEA)’;
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned by the authority.